Thursday, October 27, 2011

Landscaping help


On one side of our house we have stairs as you can kind of see here. The other side is what you see above. The "steps" are so big that you really can't walk up and down that side. It is always full of vines and just has never looked very nice. Last fall we tried to clean it up. We got the vine down off the house and mostly out of the plum tree. Sad, sad plum tree. This last weekend we really clean it out. you can see the pile that Mike got out of there.

Now I need all you creative types to help me out. We want to change it. Most of the railroad ties are rotting and basically just need to come out. I like the idea of the plum tree, so it can stay. But what can/should we do with this area. It probably won't happen till next Spring or Summer but we need to start brainstorming now.

It would be nice if I could get the lawn mower up and down that side as the stairs really aren't that easy. And I would like the tree to stay. It is on the north side of the house so doesn't get much sun.

Ideas in the comments, PLEASE!!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

dolly d. said...

I say no grass, for sure. I mean, you are not planning to have any parties up there. Small retaining wall/steps might still be nice. Maybe you could try gabion walls? They seem DIY friendly, and are pretty cool. Next I say you spread rocks (I'm envisioning river rocks), green hardy and low water-use ground cover, and maybe some stepping stones (to allow access to the tree and maybe a fun climb up or down that side of the house) in organic and artful curves. It would all be low lying, which would keep the space open, but be tidy and intentional. There's my two cents. :)

Haiku Amy said...

Try a long slide for one half so the kids can enjoy it, then on the other side some stone steps up. LOL, this is totally tongue in cheek suggestion. I am no good with ideas and projects.